People always talk about the possibility of running out of gas, and how drastic that would be for the world, but what if we ran out of coffee? I think for A LOT of people, myself included, that would be pretty drastic. :-O
Okay, so I’m being a little bit melodramatic here, but when was the last time you drove around town and didn’t pass a Starbucks, let alone any other coffee shop? There’s a reason why Starbucks is open every day, from early morning to late at night, and I’m pretty sure it’s because the majority of us are hooked on coffee.
One of my favorite drinks to get when I go out for coffee is an Iced Caramel Latte. It kills me because I’m paying 5 dollars for a drink loaded with ice (and I get that you need ice to make an iced latte), but it’s so good that sometimes I can’t help myself. That’s why I was super excited when I finally figured out how to make my own perfected version of an Iced Caramel Latte at home, and what I love about it, besides the fact that it’s cheaper, is that I can always make it perfectly sweetened to my taste. Plus, because I use my own caramel sauce that’s made with milk instead of heavy cream, I don’t have to feel too guilty about my morning indulgence. And, to top it all off, I found this cold milk frother that I’m now in love with because I can make my iced latte all foamy (every coffee is better with foam). Needless to say, I’m hooked.
If you need me, I’ll just be drinking an Iced Caramel Latte and wondering how far into the winter I can make it before I have to switch back to hot coffee.
Beat the heat and enjoy a coffeehouse favorite at home with this delicious Iced Caramel Latte.
- 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 3-4 teaspoons caramel sauce*, depending on sweetness preference
- 6 large ice cubes
- Chill coffee in fridge or freezer, until at least room temperature. This will take about 15 minutes in the freezer, so you can use the freezer if you want to drink your iced coffee as soon as possible.
- Stir the caramel sauce into the milk. If you have a cold milk frother, pour the caramel milk into it and froth according to manufacturer's instructions. Otherwise, use a whisk to beat the caramel and milk together rapidly until foamy.
- Pour caramel milk into chilled coffee right after frothing/beating. Add ice and enjoy immediately.
*If you're making the homemade caramel sauce, which I highly recommend, make the thinner version, as explained in the caramel post.