Things have gotten to the point where I’m now getting constant suggestions from friends and family re: what to bake, and it’s kinda awesome. It’s like I have my own personal think tank so that even in the moments where my creativity level is at ZERO, I have bunches of ideas to fall back on. I can only imagine what it’d be like if I was paying people to come up with these ideas for me, because as-is, I’m getting so many fun ideas for free. Thank goodness I’m surrounded by people who love food just as much as me; that kind of nonstop enthusiasm is the best.
Usually when it comes to holiday recipes it takes me forever to brainstorm and finally settle on an idea I really like, so in all honesty, I got lucky here that the idea for these truffles was basically dropped into my lap. All I did was throw some mini heart-shaped sprinkles into the mix and – BAM – I had a Valentine’s Day dessert that is soo worth obsessing over. I mean obviously, when it comes to making totally edible cookie dough and dipping it in chocolate, you know there’s no way to go wrong, but this variation is definitely one of my favorites yet. The dough has this light, sugary vanilla flavor that matches perfectly with the barely-sweet dark chocolate wrapped around it, so every bite is like sinking your teeth into a little piece of heaven. ♡
And I have to mention, “Sugar Cookie Dough Truffles” was the safe name pick here, but I was given a few suggestions that weren’t completely appropriate blog material (although pretty darn great nonetheless). Even though I won’t share details, it just goes to show that these are decadent, AND indulgent, AND sinful, AND all those things that the very best Valentine’s Day desserts should be. So if somebody would maybe make me a another batch, and possibly some chocolate espresso cupcakes too? I would love you for that — just sayin’. ;)
Bite-sized balls of sugar cookie dough wrapped in a rich coating of chocolate - the perfect treat for your sweet someone!
- 7 3/8 ounces (1 3/4 cups, spoon and level) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt*
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 3/4 ounces (1 1/4 cups) vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-9 ounces good-quality chocolate, chopped (I used bittersweet)
- mini heart sprinkles, optional
- Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a bowl and handheld electric mixer), cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla bean. Wiping down bowl and beater as needed, add heavy cream and vanilla extract and beat in until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to dough and mix in on lowest speed just until incorporated.
- Line a plate or tray with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 ounce balls (about the size of a ping pong ball) and lay out on prepared plate/tray. Refrigerate a couple hours, until firm.
- Line a second plate or tray with parchment paper.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth. Using a fork or spoon, dip truffles into chocolate to coat completely. Tap off as much excess as possibly and gently slide off onto second plate/tray. Decorate with heart sprinkles and let set. Repeat with remaining truffles.
- Once all chocolate has set, truffles can be transferred to an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.