So you know that whole crisp/crumble/cobbler confusion – which is which is which? This is where the lines really get blurry. These mini berry-laden desserts were originally intended to be crumbles – except by my definition the proper word would be crisps since they don’t have any oats in the topping – but then you wind up with a topping that’s really more cookie-like than crumble-like, and suddenly cobbler seems like the better term. Whichever way you choose to look at it, the name isn’t really of all that much importance; they’re pretty healthy and taste fantastic, and those are the kind of details that matter.
Essentially what we have here is a big heap of mixed berries – raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries, to be precise – with vanilla bean for a little somethin’ more and a solid drizzle of honey to sweeten them up just enough, cooked ’til they get all thick and juicy under a golden-brown cobbler topping. And that topping? Just a little honey-sweetened, whole wheat, chewy cookie-type concoction, with a hint of coconut oil to keep things tender. Wholesome ingredients + totally tasty ➝ always a winning combo.
PLUS, when you have individual portions baked into little ramekins, the whole scenario somehow gets a little sweeter. Grab-and-go dessert is never a bad thing. ;)
Berry season is in full swing, the weekend is right around the corner, and we all deserve a little treat that won’t ruin the summer bod, so watchya waitin’ for?!
Mini cobblers loaded with juicy blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, with a chewy, cookie-like topping. Dairy-free and refined-sugar free!
- 6 5/8 ounces (1 1/3 cup) blackberries
- 6 5/8 ounces (1 1/3 cup) blueberries
- 6 5/8 ounces (1 1/3 cup) raspberries
- 3 ounces (1/4 cup) honey*
- 1 3/8 ounces (1/3 cup, spoon and level) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) coconut oil
- 4 ounces (1/3 cup) honey*
- 6 3/8 ounces (1 1/2 cups, spoon and level) whole wheat pastry flour, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- demerara sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease four 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick spray and set on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, toss together the berries, honey, flour, and vanilla bean seeds until evenly combined, with no streaks of flour or pockets of honey remaining. Divide mixture evenly between the prepared ramekins.
- In a clean, microwave-safe bowl, microwave the coconut oil until completely melted. Add honey and whisk in until fairly smooth. Add 4 1/4 ounces (1 cup, spoon and level) flour and salt and mix in until all ingredients are evenly combined and come together in a dough. Add the remaining 2 1/8 ounces (1/2 cup, spoon and level) flour and fold in until partially combined. Finish rubbing in with fingertips until fully incorporated; the dough should be somewhat crumbly.
- Crumble dough over filling in ramekins, dividing evenly between each. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until crumble is golden-brown and filling is bubbling. Serve warm from oven.
*I used raw honey to really keep this on the healthier, unrefined side, but regular honey will work as well.