When it comes to entertaining, I’m all about the fun of it; the last thing I want to do is be the hostess stuck in the kitchen who’s too busy to actually enjoy anything. BUT, I’m also that person who wants to host parties and get-togethers just so I can channel my inner Martha – serve desserts on cake stands and drinks with stripey straws, all that stuff. You know what I’m saying? So essentially, I live in the mindset of that happy medium where you can be the hostess AND have fun. It’s totally possible! Here’s a few of my favorite ideas to make that happen:
1) Host outdoors! Not only does it give people more room to move around and makes cleanup easier, it’s the simplest way to create a bright and relaxing environment. I’m the kind of person who will always take an outdoor table over an indoor one when the weather is right, so this is one of my favorite ways to entertain!
2) Add color: Keeping your decoration light and vibrant is an instant way to set a fun mood for a get-together. Think outside the box here; your food and dishes alone can add a ton of color to a table and act as functional decor. Flowers or fresh herbs in a jar are another easy way to brighten things up and boost the outdoor vibe.
3) Make food prep easy: Entertaining doesn’t have to be about gourmet dishes by any means. Think light and simple options to really keep things uncomplicated – fruit and vegetable platters or hummus and pita make easy appetizers, and a fresh salad with homemade pizza are both good options for meals you can prep ahead of time without too much fuss. Keep dessert simple too; fruits with dip or berries and cream are light, fresh dessert options you can easily incorporate.
4) Drink light: Cocktails are always fun, but they aren’t the end-all-be-all of a get-together. My new favorite non-cocktail option is IZZE‘s new sparkling water line. It comes in three bold and fruity flavors – Blackberry Pear, Mandarin Lime (top pick!) and Raspberry Watermelon – and they’re all super crisp and refreshing, which is perfect for boosting a summer entertaining vibe. I like to serve them with striped straws (← you had to know that was coming!) and throw a few fresh pieces of fruit in for added color and flavor. It makes another extra-simple way to elevate your get-together and brighten the mood up.
5) Keep things relaxed! The biggest thing you can do to make entertaining more enjoyable for yourself is to remember that the time is about having fun and relaxing; not chasing after an agenda. Have things set up ahead so that when your guests are around, you’re free to kick back and have a good time with them. These things rarely go exactly as planned, so don’t overthink it all; just go with the flow. ;)
IZZE Sparkling Water is available in 12-oz. glass singles ($1.29 SRP) and 12-oz. glass 4-packs available ($3.99 SRP). Check their product locator to find out where you can pick them up near you!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.