THIS MOUSSE. Actually, I’m not really sure what you’d call it – it’s somewhere between a mousse and a pudding and yet neither of those things exactly – but ohmygoodnesssss is it decadent. Thick, rich, and super dark chocolatey, with a hint of fresh mint flavor to round it all out ➝ that’s the kind of luxuriousness we’re dealing with here.
But wait just a second, because here’s the kicker: it’s lightened-up, sweetened only with agave, and – oh yes – vegan. That’s right; we’re making mousse/pudding/whatever-you-want-to-call-it without any cream at all, and it still tastes freakin’ phenomenal. Coconut milk gives it loads of creaminess plus healthier fats, and a solid dose of cocoa and bittersweet chocolate add intense chocolate flavor. You wind up with something that has the richness of a good dark mousse but with less of the airiness (so if anything, it’s even richer). This one is definitley for the most serious of chocolate lovers – you know what I’m sayin’? ;)
And if you really want to go all out here (and you’re okay with sacrificing the veganness of the recipe) add a big dollop of peppermint whipped cream on top – the airy texture contrasted with the super thick mousse is perfection.
Now – what are you waiting for?! Grab a spoon and DIG IN.
Extra-thick & silky dark chocolate mousse with a touch of fresh mint flavor - made with healthier ingredients for all the indulgence with less guilt!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint (I used chocolate mint)
- 4 1/2 ounces (3/8 cup) agave syrup
- 1 3/4 ounces (1/2 cup) dutch-process cocoa, sifted
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- whipped cream for serving (not vegan, optional)*
- mint leaves, for garnish
- chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Place coconut milk and mint sprigs in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Scoop out mint and reduce to a simmer. Add agave, cocoa, coffee, and sea salt and mix in until smooth. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, whisking frequently; the mixture should thicken, but will thicken much more as it cools.
- Remove mixture from heat and add chocolate, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Whisk until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, whisking often to smooth out.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.** Whisk again before serving. Serve with whipped cream if desired (non-vegan), fresh mint, and chocolate shavings.
*For even better flavor, serve with freshly whipped cream flavored with a bit of peppermint extract. Coconut whipped cream could be substituted for a vegan option.
**After sitting in the fridge for more than a few hours the mousse will become very thick; for a more fluid, pudding-like consistancy, serve after chilling for just an hour or two.