Thanksgiving is literally DAYS away, which can only mean one super-exciting thing —the holiday season is in full swing!! If you’re anything like me you’re probably already daydreaming about glorious platters of food coming out of your kitchen for some major feasting. And when you have all your friends and family gathered together, there’s one more thing we can’t forget besides the food – the drinks!
Obviously there’s tons of options to choose from, but with this roast your best bet is probably a good red, and Rioja wines just happens to make one that works perfectly here. Hailing from North-Central Spain, Rioja refers to the wine as well as the region it comes from. Made mainly from the Tempranillo grape, Rioja wines are one of only two D.O.C regions in Spain, and all Rioja wines are regulated to ensure the quality of every bottle produced. Plus (and this is the best part, if you ask me) Rioja wines are versatile and affordable. You don’t have to break the bank on wine for your holiday dinner or stress out about ten different bottles of wine to pair with each course. They have everything from juicy rosado wines to crisp blancos and elegant reds.
For this particular (oh-so-mouthwatering) beef roast, Rioja Reserva wines make the perfect match. Rioja’s Reserva and Gran Reserva wines are made from the best vintages and are aged in their bottles for at least three years before release to give them their signature flavor profile of soft fruits, leathery undertones, and subtle black pepper spice. They work perfectly with tender, slow roasted game meats and flavorful, hearty beef dishes. The fruits and cracked pepper hints of the wine bring out the flavors or the herb and caramelized garlic in this roast, and the earthier tones are a delicious fit with the mushroom and pan glaze served alongside.
And besides the fact that the roast is utterly delicious – juicy red meat, buttery sautéed mushrooms, and all – the presentation alone is sure to add an impressive factor to your dinner table. Pair it with Rioja Reserva wines and you’re all set with a gourmet meal for the holidays!
- 3 lb Rib Eye roast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, or other favorite herb(s)
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms (feel free to use a variety of types)
- 1 cup of beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Tie meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet with cooking oil and sear all sides of the meat.
- Mix together the dill and garlic in a bowl. Coat the meat with the herb-garlic mixture.
- Roast meat in the preheated oven until medium-rare (130º-135º) or medium (140º-145º) depending on your preference, measuring doneness with an instant-read thermometer.
- 7. Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, sauté the mushrooms with butter until cooked through. Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper.
- 8. Transfer meat to a serving dish and move the skillet it was cooked in back to the stovetop. Add stock to the pan and deglaze the pan, being sure to scrape the bits on the bottom. Allow to simmer until thick.
- 9. Add the mushrooms to the sauce and serve the roast sliced with accompanying mushroom sauce. Garnish serving platter with fresh dill if desired.